Tuesday, September 12, 2023

ATCM 3355: Castle Tower - Skylar Fornfeist

 


Reference Image 


OrthoGraphic and Ghosted 

Dynamic Render View
Full-Scale Render View






Concept: My inspiration for this project was the Death Weapon Meister Academy from Soul Eater. While there aren’t many images of this building, I used the ones I did have to inspire my final composition. I had to keep the scale and printability of my design in mind while creating it. There were elements I left off because I knew it would be hard to translate to a 3D print. Even though I edited the design quite a bit I still feel as though to someone who knows the franchise it’d be recognizable. I knew the skulls were an element I wanted to keep, and I decided they would be great focal points. I also took inspiration from the looking roofs and their fluctuating structure. 


Process: My process for this was overall simple, but being new to Rhino it was much more complicated than anticipated. I thought that Rhino would be more similar to Maya, but that is not the case. After I made a few models in Rhino, I went ahead and began constructing my final model. I enjoyed working in Rhino and I’m excited to see just how powerful this program is. I used mostly primitives but tried to combine them in ways that made them look unique. I also used the polyline and curve tools to make the sad eyes of my skulls. I made use of the boolean tools as well. 


Materials: For the materials I chose a limited palette of greys, reds, and marble to make up my composition. I chose a concrete texture for the base of the model, and then an old brick texture for the towers. I used glass for the turrets and made the color red to keep with the palette. The roof is made of a terracotta texture and the ring is a painted material. For the skulls, I decided to use a marble texture. I think the skull texture elevates the design and look of the model.






No comments:

Post a Comment