Monday, September 11, 2023

Tately Diep ATCM 3355 F23: Project 1 Castle-Tower

Concept: 

Moon Jellyfish


For this project, as I was playing around in Grasshopper, I ended up with an abstract spiraling tower that reminded me of sea anemones or the oral arms/tentacles of jellyfish. I decided to base my tower off of Moon Jellyfish as I liked the concept of a glowing centerpiece. 

Process:

Arctic with Maker2D Orthographic Sketches

Ghosted Colored Layers

The bottom portion of my tower was made through Grasshopper, and then I added the rings on top to somewhat replicate the top of the head of the jellyfish without just using a dome shape. I utilized Boolean Difference and Boolean Union to make the two rings separate pieces detachable from one another as I was keeping in mind how I would assemble this once it was 3D printed.

Materials:

Keyshot Rendering - Front View

Keyshot Rendering - Pedestrian View

Keyshot Rendering - Birds Eye View

I tried to utilize interesting materials like lights, glass, and colored metals to make my simple design more visually appealing. I imagined the sphere centerpiece illuminating the tower like how the tops of Moon Jellyfish heads glow. I went with using different shades of blue in the spiraling tubes to add more dimension in the bottom of the tower.

Overall, I am fairly satisfied with how this project came out to be even though it came out more simple than I anticipated. I tried to keep in mind what would seem realistic for me to print, but I would say I would like to be more ambitious in future projects to push the limits of my creativity.

Castle-Tower Printed Model






No comments:

Post a Comment