Monday, September 11, 2023

Caleb Wang Project 1: Castle Tower

 
Image 1



Image 2


Image 3


Image 4


Concept: The first thing that came to mind with a prompt for a tower was one famous in my home country, the Taipei 101. To me, the tower had the perfect mix of complexity while mostly being a simple design that wouldn't be too hard to recreate in Rhino. While I tried to experiment with Grasshopper to see if I could replicate it using that, I wasn't able to and ended up going the traditional modeling route.

Process: Rhino's 3D modeling software is unique from other 3D software and it was something I wasn't very familiar with. Luckily for me, Taipei 101 is mostly made up of repeating patterns, so I got to work designing a block that I could duplicate. After modeling out the upside-down trapezoid, I modeled out the finer details with some subtractive elements before duplicating it to form the middle of the tower. The base and the top used some more simple primitive shapes.

Materials: The original Taipei 101 has glass panels and steel borders and is known for its distinctive bluish-green tint. I had no trouble recreating a simple metal texture; however, the default glass texture in Keyshot was see-through and didn't fit what I needed. I wanted a material that had the reflective properties of glass but was opaque, so I went with the Paint texture as that gave me the surface I desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment