Sunday, September 10, 2023

Yvonne Yu ATCM 3355 F23: Project 1 Castle-Tower

 Concept:

ghosted with layer colors

For my tower, I wanted to create a design inspired by a carousel. I felt that the repetitive nature and movement of the tower created from the grasshopper file was similar to that of a spinning carousel. When creating the horses and the apples, I wanted to convey a simple, toy-like design similar to that of wooden horses or art on children's' toys.

Process: 

arctic with make2d drawings

After using the grasshopper file to create the initial shape of my tower, I then went into Rhino to adjust and add-on shapes. For the top of the tower, I extruded and shaped the top floor of the tower into a tent-like shape. I then used various primitives to add dimension as well as create the horses and apples (spheres, cylinders, pipes, ellipsoids, and parabloids). Using BooleanDiff and Boolean Union, I was able to combine my shapes into close solids. I utilized the ArrayCrv command to duplicate the shapes I created and easily add them around my tower. I also used OffsetSrf to turn the "skin" of the tower into a closed polysurface and prevent any naked edges.

Materials:

keyshot rendering

In Keyshot, I wanted my rendering to convey a wooden toy feel. I used a Mahogany wood for the top and adjusted the colors to make it a more saturated red. For the floor and corner pipes, I used an Ash wood to contrast the red and adjusted the colors to tone down the rings of the wood. I used Metallic orange for the middle pipes and Oak wood for the horses to make them pop out as they are the focal points. For the apples, I used Paint Matte red which I de saturated to match the Mahogany more, but still stand out. I used Paint Matte white, which I adjusted to be more of a lighter beige, on the "skin" to contrast the wood textures and help bring out all the shapes of the tower.

 

keyshot with make2d drawings
 

Overall, I am satisfied with how my tower came out. I was able to create what I had envisioned with my initial concept idea and was able to utilize what I had learned from past projects. If I went back, I would like to experiment with more varied textures/materials in Keyshot or add other shapes/details in Rhino.


post processed

post processed close-up



No comments:

Post a Comment