Monday, September 12, 2016

Chelsea Griffin - Week 1 - Castle







Concept
When I initially began, I was uncertain of what exactly my ideal castle would look like. I am pretty new to modeling and entirely new to Rhino, so I ended up just following the YouTube castle tutorial and messing around with different shapes. I knew that whatever I made, I wanted it to have a sort of lair-type vibe. I started off making the morning star balls and just kept coming up with ideas from there. I had an ellipse at the base of my model and decided that I wanted it to become an eye, as I really enjoy drawing and looking at eye art. I find eyes pretty profound and a lot of my work in various mediums has incorporated them in some way or another so it only made sense that they would be the center of my lair. 

Modeling Techniques
As I was learning about the Rhino environment, I found that I used the rotate and mirror tools quite often for the sake of symmetry. Pretty much every object, excluding the center eye, was mirrored or copied in one way or another. I utilized the pipe tool for the beams around the spheres, as well as the veins that lead into the eye. For the iris and pupil of the eye, I used the split tool as well as the extrude tool. I learned that I had to join these parts in order to avoid any naked edges. The scaling tool came in handy as well to create the larger spiked-beam-sphere centerpiece. The methods I used were fairly simple but I am satisfied with the outcome. 

Materials Used
Although my castle is abstract, it is still an edifice of sorts. As such, I felt the best materials would mainly be stone. I used granite for the iris and eyeball,since I imagine that that would be the actual living space of the castle. I also made the spheres a black granite for the same reason.The veins are mainly for aesthetic purposes as opposed to functional, so I figured it made sense that they would just be red glass. For the pupil, I wanted a sort of reflective pool, so I ended up using the coffee liquid material. The spikes are also mainly aesthetic, though I suppose they could serve as a defense. Either way, I felt using the glass effect worked well

No comments:

Post a Comment