Monday, September 12, 2016

Draven Ashorn-Hejl: Week 1 Castle



Concept: This is the first time I'd ever used a 3D modeling program before, so I wanted to keep things nice and simple. In many videogames that use sprites, a castle is depicted as a wall with a single keep inside of it, so that tends to be how I think of them. It is this simple idea that I went with to recreate in 3D.


Modeling Techniques: As this was the first thing I'd ever made with 3D modeling I kept things extremely basic, using only basic cubes, cones, and a cylinder to make my castle, using specific number coordinates to place each piece to keep it from becoming a mess. To keep it from being too boring, I used Boolean Difference to cut a gate into the outer wall and hollowed out the central keep to create a 2-story inside, and I also added windows to it so you can see inside.



Materials: For my castle's render I went with an Obsidian texture to give it a dark sheen, enforced by me removing the marbling by customizing the texture to be just the pure black. I also used a glass texture for the central keep's windows so that they could keep their function of letting you look inside the keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment