Saturday, September 10, 2016

Melanie Estes: Week 2 Rubber Duck

Ghosted

Layers

Overview

Closeup

     I intended to make my rubber duck to look like a cartoon character. In light of the recent Olympics, I decorated the model to be “Katie Leducky”. I gave the duck a swim cap and some goggles, and made a gold medal to go around its neck. Overall I tried to make the rubber duck look like a cute toy that loves to swim.
     After modeling the general shape of the duck, I added accents to the body. I used modified ellipsoids for the tail feathers. The wings were made by projecting a curve onto the sides and extruding the wings out. I used a similar process to make the swim cap. I made the feet by drawing a curve of the outline and curving the silhouette to keep it from being flat. I extruded it slightly and added a cylinder to connect it to the body. I used the mirror tool when modeling the goggles. I made one lens out of cylinders and pipes and made half a strap out of extruded curves. I then mirrored it across the face and connected the straps. I used an extruded curve for the ribbon of the medal as well. To decorate the cap with the name, I used an image found here to trace the letters with curves. I then positioned and projected them onto the cap, used the split tool, and moved the cut out names to another layer. I traced over this image to make the design on the gold medal. As a last accent, I made eyelashes for her out of extruded curves, and made sure she was to be smiling.
     I wanted to make my duck look like a toy, so I applied mostly plastic-type materials. I chose a skin tone for the body of the duck and a classic orange for the bill and feet. I made the cap blue like some of the ones used during the Olympics. I was able to add the American Flags as stickers above the name on either side. Finally, I made the medal an appropriately shiny gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment