Monday, September 5, 2016

Michael "Griff" Crow: Week 1 Castle




   


Concept
    My main idea was to work with a castle design that was unusual in my searching I found a rather unique Castle. which formed the basis of my idea. Though the circular symbolism of the castle made me feel like it was more of a holy site than that of war, so I opened the entrance and added an alter \ temple in the center to make it more of a place of worship than a true castle for defense.

Modeling Techniques
    In this model I used three main technique s. The first and most important technique that I used was Boolean Difference. This allowed me to make complex shapes that were still capped on all sides, such as the wall and the fortifications. The second major technique was ArrayPolar. This allowed me to create spires, pillars, and even subtraction wheels) used with the first technique to give the whole caste a uniform feel and that perfectly circular dimensions I was looking for. Finally I used several curves and the Two Rail Sweep tool which allowed me to make the perfect arches between each set of pillars at my entrance. along side the advanced tools I mainly used my Gumball and snap tools to create the rest.

Materials
    I wanted this castle to have a real castle feel to it, but the more I played with the stones and the like the more I disliked any of the presets. I ended up making my own variations on marble due to the unique beauty of the "veins" in the marble, which gave my altar \ temple more of a mystical feel. the rest is made from stones and precious metals to reinforce the significance of the site and draw your attention inwards through the main gate and into the altar itself. The dark Green stone is used to accent the white and black and offset the blue in the marble, once again pulling the piece together for a cohesive feel without distracting from the more important materials.


1 comment: