Monday, March 20, 2017

Lauren Barbieri:Week 10 Serial Slice







concept
The best among dogs, our dear friend Tucker, graciously posed for this model (when  bribed with enough treats). I wanted to keep it a little simple and cartoonish so it would look good when sliced. the eyes are hollow. I'm thinking I'll add glass or marble eyes to the inside. 
modeling
I Worked from primitives to form the basis of the face and muzzle using control points and Boolean operations. the ears and neck were made using sweep2.
The serial slice was created right along with the way the videos said. I created cores (3 in this case) and contouring them and the model, extruding the curves created by those contours to create a digital representation of what the final model will look like. Then I laid out the curves to fit on a reference panel. 


Tucker himself is a very big dog, the rest of his litter ended up around the size of a Labrador, but somehow tucker draws more comparisons to a Great Dane in size. so I really couldn't help having three sheets. 



materials
Tucker's coat is brindled. Inter-striped with blacks and whites and light brown, replicating it proved to be a challenge. So my attempt failed in some respects when transferred into Keyshot I couldn't get my texture map's tones to show quite as I'd like. Although it still came out a nice mottled brown. I applied a bump map of wood to make it look a little more rugged. In the real slice I haven't decided definitively towards what material to use but I am leaning towards cardboard, if only to keep it from getting too heavy. 
Update: May 1
It was cut out of a Home Depot box, And came out a little fatter than anticipated but still recognizable and not too warped. Then it was glued and spray painted black. I left a bit of the brown intentionally to mimic tucker's coloring.




No comments:

Post a Comment