Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Jason Doze: Week 10 Serial Slice

Model / Vertical Slice

Vertical / Horizontal Slice
 Horizontal Slice
 
Horizontal Serial Slices

 
Shot 1

Shot 2
Shot 1

 
Shot 2
Assembled Model



Concept:  I didn't have much of a conceptual idea in the beginning so I just began to play around with shapes with the intention to end up with a sculpture that I like.  After trying several iterations, I decided to go with a clean and simple design of three counter balanced spheres.  I wanted them to overlap and have the largest sphere on the top and the smallest on the bottom. 


Materials:  I played around with material for a few days before deciding what I liked best.  I chose wood for my materials because it seemed the most realistic representation of wood being sliced and pressed one atop the other with a series of spheres cut out and veneered with a contrasting color of wood.  I would not typically choose wood for my material but for this particular project it seemed to be the most plausible.   For fun I made another few versions one with glass cubes another with wavy glass I added soft and sharp radial emissive lights to give the model an other worldly look.  The background for the black model is the Los Angeles noon summer solstice background.


Technique:  I made the spheres with solids and created an array of spheres with opposing angles so I could boolean them out of the model.  Then I used boolean union to combine the individual shapes into one model.  I made the cylinders to cut the .25" dow rod holes.  Using contour, and extrude crv I sliced the model horizontally and vertically, then made the reference rectangle, and moved each slice and numbered them with text.

No comments:

Post a Comment