Monday, March 13, 2017

Michelle Ignacz: Week 10 Serial Slice

So I wanted to work with a previous model I had already created and change it up a little bit. When working on the model, I loved the idea of the personality of a hand to come through, to let the model create its own presence. I decided to take what I had of my prosthetic and vamp it up a bit. When thinking about how it would slice, I foresaw it having very interesting serial levels as it was divided up.
Upon the actual modeling, I took what was from my previous prosthetic and decided to fill in the gaps of the internal hand and the joints after I had placed them in the position I wanted most. It proved a bit difficult and I ended up having to redo some of the work, but it started to come along just nicely. I thought about adding a little flair and decor to the hand to give it more vogue and style, but I am still debating about whether or not it would take away from the actual model. The hand is supposed to give its own story, not have supporting items to help sell it. I'll be playing back and forth on the idea though in the meantime. The pose is what I want to people to look at and enjoy, not the rest.
I do have some doubts about the idea if the piece would balance properly, so I may end up tweaking the different variations I can come up with if my original will not be stable enough. Trial and error will be the greatest and most terrible ally for this 3D sculpture. I look forward to it very much in the meantime though.


**Updated**
So I found a design and pose for the hand that I really liked and should hold steadily upon construction. I constructed a base for the hand to inlay in by BooleanDifferencing out where the back of the hand rests and where the fingers lay. It should be able to cradle the hand better, acting as a better support for the hand to sit in.

Cut Sheet

Comparison

No Edges

Shot 01

Shot 02

Shot 03

For the final renderings of the serial sliced generated hand, I wanted to use glass material at first for the main hand, but actually found that sticking with a wood surface material that has two different inlays, old wood planks and red wood planks, with each other looked more appropriate and much more fitting. I used a black ridge glass for the base instead and turned up the re-fractals to give it more color and depth instead of being completely see through on the base. All in all, the final product in KeyShot makes me very excited to see the finished turnout of the larger physical piece.

Update: So the final product of the serial slice project was actually quite a puzzle. Once my pieces were all printed on two ply cardboard, a lot of the pieces were super thin and actually ended up being split into two. After about 5 hours of matching everything up I finally achieved my final product. I am in absolute love with it. It is quite large I must say though, I did not think about it when setting it on the cut sheet. I have no complaints about it though.  :}

Serial Slice 01

Serial Slice 02

No comments:

Post a Comment