Sunday, March 19, 2017

Rebecca Genung: Week 10 Serial Slice



NOTE: The scars are only on the one side

For this project I wanted to do something culturally significant to my heritage (I'm mainly Scoto-Norse) so I went with the most impressive beast of both the Celtics and Norse: Dragons. In pre-christian Celtic mythology dragons are natural beings who are either sea serpents (such as the Mester Stoor Worm) or impossibly large beasts who make up mountain ranges. As I started working on a earthly dragon ( a sea dragon would have fins and other protrusions that would violate the "closed fist"-like rule) I wanted to focus the design. I took inspiration from the Norse side and decided to make my interpretation of Fáfnir. Fáfnir was a Dwarf who murdered his brother for treasure from the Æsir (long story) and slowly turned into a dragon from his greed. He was eventually slain by the hero Sigurðr (another long story). My design originally was much more menacing; with protruding teeth and jaw horns. Unfortunately, these didn't read well in the sliced version and I removed them.


For technique, I modeled the head in ZBrush (about 40 minutes to make) with vertical cutting specifically in mind. Still, I had to snip the last ring from his bottom chin to meet the no double rings requirement. I'm a little worried about how many cut sheets I used, but making the model small enough to fit on less sheets cut away too much detail for me to be comfortable with. The main problem is that there are many layers of large size in the mid-section of the bust.



I wanted to take advantage of my model's asymmetry. The first concept is a marble statue that somehow survived through the ages. The KeyShot material is called Granite Gray (I added some aluminum coloring).
The second concept was that this was a lost treasure of some sort: maybe Jade or Malachite. The KeyShot material is called Tempting Turquoise.


Ideally, I could mount this on my wall as a conversation starter (I already have several odd things of similar nature for my future parlor). I've considered adding a papier-mâché skin so I can paint scales, glowing eyes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment