Monday, March 27, 2017

Jose Diaz - Laser Engraving






For my laser engraving I wanted to combine a couple of designs that I really like to work with. Which consist of a deer theme and an Asian coin theme. I wanted to put these two things together in a way that was visually appealing without looking like they were competing with each other.

I used Illustrator to create my design to making sure to the image was completely made up of vectors. First I made half the coin just using basic shapes line circles and rectangles to create most of the design.  Once that was done I mirrored the image to create a whole and merged them together. Then on a different layer I created the deer image. With that image done I placed the deer on top of the round design and removed the inside elements so that the deer image was empty. After that the image was taken into Rhino so it could be engraved.


The final piece ended up becoming a key-ring holder. It’s made from ¾ inch birch plywood that was not stained but sealed with a poly in order to highlight the laser engraving without making it disappear had I used a darker stain. Then I added hooks in a staggered fashion in order to provide a place to put up your keys. Lastly I stained the edges of the plywood a dark brown in order to give it more visual interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment