Monday, March 20, 2017

Griffin Korns: Week 10 Serial Slice


Concept:
I wanted to make something simple and geometric, but was a recognizable object that could be put together easily. I originally had just the house, but it looked far too plain and didn't show off the layering well, so I removed several spherical volumes from the house to make it a more dynamic shape.



Technique:
I built the house by making the body out of one cube, the door/window out of nested cubes, and the roof and chimney from one cube each. I then made three different groupings of different sized spheres and duplicated them, before placing and angling them about the house to make the silhouette more interesting, while still being clear that the base shape is a house. I used boolean difference to remove the sphere volumes from the house, as well as the windows and door.




Materials:
I picked a scaled down basic ash wood because of the texture & coloration differences, and to make the house seem small. The wood grain breaking consistency on edges also helps to more clearly define the dimensions of each layer.

To put them all together I aligned the house straight on three 1/4 inch dowel rods, but I had mistakenly entered the wrong hole size in the original file - which turned out to be .3 instead of .25. I decided to tilt the dowel rods, so that they could get as much contact with the layers as possible so it would be easier to stack and align. I then used Loctite super glue on each layer to secure them all together. While it isn't what I originally planned, I like the tilted house more.






No comments:

Post a Comment