Monday, March 20, 2017

Maizie Desmarais: Week 10 Serial Slice

Concept:
My serial slice model was based off a children's cartoon called "My Neighbor Totoro." I really loved the unique silhouette that can easily be recognized and the overall design of the spirit. Totoro is a forest spirit that is friendly towards the children that appear in the movie and really brings out the inner personality of a furry giant. 


Techniques:
My model was completely made in Maya software and started off with 2 spheres: one for the body and one for the head. I then sculpted those to the shapes I needed and combined them together. For the arms, ears, and tail, I extruded a few faces outwards until I got the desired shape I needed. I then used contour command in Rhino to create my slices and extruded for the model.




Materials:
Because Totoro is a forest spirit, I thought wood would be a great material to use to really match the character's home. For wood I used oak purely because of the color and texture it gives off to make my slices for visible. The second material I used was a glass texture just to see the highlights off each individual slice and really liked how it looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment