Monday, March 13, 2017

Brandon Wehenkel: Serial Slice



Close Up (Physical Object)


Ghosted Black 3D Scan (Before)


Ghosted Black Serial Slice (After)


Ghosted Black Serial Slice


Concept:
Fall 2016, created a bust of a character of mine with polymer clay then scanned him into digital information.  Because I had several models 6.3M poly, 900k poly, 12k poly, and a 3k poly I thought that maybe this project would be perfect to test the serial slice design with him.  I have a facination of anthropomorpic design so his overall style is designed from several animals:  Gorilla, Chimpanzee, and Human.


Ready To Cut


Modeling Techniques:
How I made the model please refer to my 3D Scanned Object post.
My model started off as 6.3M polys.  I reduced it down to 12,744 polys for this project.  I used Mudbox to do this.  I pressed page down to change the normals map to level 1.  Then I exported as .obj and uploaded it to Maya where I used the cut faces tool to make a nice base for the model.  I used the edge selection tool and the face selection tool to delete any of the excess polys under the line.  Then extruded the mesh to close the hole.  The fill hole command didn't work for me.  I forgot how to manually close it in Maya so I made the hole fairly large so that I could just close it in Rhino with a series of mesh tools.  I used Mesh --> Mesh Edit Tools --> Delete Mesh Faces (to remove several of the weird naked edges around faces); Mesh --> Mesh Repair Tools --> Rebuild Mesh (to eliminate the rest of the naked edges); Unify Normals; Fill All Holes.

I used contour for the serial slicing as seen in the tutorial from class.  I separated each curve by .1875 inches.  The dowels cut are at .25 inches in diameter.  The dowel placement is in a slightly different spot than from the image above.

There are four holes in the model for dowels.  Because my traditional sculpting capabilities aren't perfect the figure isn't symmetrical; remember I used a scanner to make this model so all of that information is also translated. When I put dowels into the shoulders they popped out in bad areas.  I attempted to place the dowels in the most central locations. One of the dowels does not go all the way through while the other pokes out and stops at one of the outer slices.  I did not want it to go through because it would have created an ugly exit. 

I had to use a vice, nuts, and a ratchet strap to press all of the parts together.  I ran into a minor issue with warping so the ratchet strap was useful for pressing the materials together during gluing.


Keyshot Serial Slice (Front)


Materials:
In Keyshot:
I used Soft Maple and mixed mauve with the woods texture to get the color of wood that closely resembles that of Medium-density fiberboard.

In real life:
The wood I purchased is MDF, like I mentioned above, 1/4" 2'x4' sheet which for some reason is actually 3/16" - .1875" at Home Depot.
I found a metal threaded dowel that was 3' long in the parking lot about three months ago.  It is 1/4" in diameter.   I figured I would need it someday since I have 3 various sizes at home of various material types.  I have a few nuts at home that would work for securing the wood together.
I also have plenty of wood glue as well.


 Keyshot Serial Slice (Right)

Keyshot Serial Slice (Back)


Bubbah Natural Light Interior


Comparative


 Bubbah Natural Light Exterior


Bubbah Natural Light Exterior - Backside

No comments:

Post a Comment