Monday, March 6, 2017

Randall Villegas Flashlight Update

Design- I updated my flashlight model to incorporate more of the modeling tools we have used in the class and to have a more appealing design. I wanted it to be modern and still stick with the geometric idea I had originally ran with. Another big thing was to ensure it looked like a flashlight from a distance and not just an obscure object. I found a flashlight with a design I enjoyed and used that as the basis of my concept. I made small adjustments to fit the flashlight sleeve, but I kept the core design in place.



Techniques- The top I created my making a curve to fit the outline of the top and extruded to size. For the middle, I revolved a shape created with a curve to get the taper to the bottom of the flashlight. For the cut outs, I made thin cylinders that I used with boolean difference. Similar to the mid section, the bottom had it's detail created using boolean difference and cylinders. The center I cut out by creating a curve that fit the proper dimensions and revolved it to create something I could use with boolean difference. For the button, I used a box to create the hole for the button and used two cylinders to create the button and the ring surrounding the button. I used boolean union to sew everything together. Once the largest parts of the modeling were finished, I went through and filleted to smooth out the edges.







Materials- For materials, I wanted it to be simple and functional, nothing to gaudy, but still appealing.  I used a matte black plastic for the largest part of the body with a noisy grey for the grip of the light. The button is a simple red plastic surrounded by a grey plastic.



No comments:

Post a Comment