Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Alec McKay: Laser Engraving




Concept: I wanted to create the image of a portal, like those often seen in science fiction. My goals were to create a composition that was dynamic and had great depth. While my piece did not go exactly as planned, 


Technique: Most of my work was done in Rhino, by modeling a shape and then using it to create curves. First I modeled the shape of the portal by making a cone using heptagons. I used Sweep2 to make surfaces from each ring around the cone. After that I used Make2D to take the perspective view and create 2D curves with it.


Material: For the material I used plywood, which unfortunately burned around the edges a little more than expected. In part because of this, and in part because I hoped to make the thin engraving lines stand out more, I decided to paint my piece. While I think the blue is a strong color, it currently looks too flat, so in the future I plan to add more paint to give the piece its intended depth using color.

No comments:

Post a Comment