Monday, March 21, 2016

Charlotte Guzman-Russell: Laser Engraving

Concept: For this project, I decided to use an illustration I made of an angel. While I don't consider myself to be religious, I can appreciate religious imagery and symbols, especially since some of the older depictions of angelic beings can be quite strange or even terrifying.




Technique: I brought my original image into photoshop and used the posterize effect and then adjusted the levels so the new image retained the level of detail I wanted. I then went in and painted over the cloth in a lighter color so it stood out from the body. Since some of the lighter colored edge details got lost with the posterize effect, I added a small border where the outside edges should be. Finally, I brought the jpeg image into Rhino to add frames for the engraver to read.


Material: For my material, I used cardboard, but perhaps in the future I would like to duplicate this piece and use a different material such as glass or acrylic. I would have liked to have seen a greater contrast in engrave depth between the body and the cloth, so that's something to keep in mind if I chose to do this project over again. Overall, I am pleased with the result.



No comments:

Post a Comment