Monday, March 28, 2016

Devon Youngbird: Serial slice

Telephone booth serial splice:



Concept: My concept for my serial splice comes from the idea of a telephone booth. The model itself is came out rather long and I wanted to do something super simple in order to learn the process of serial splicing. I hope to continue on and paint the serial splice to mimic a Tardis or a real world telephone booth.



Technique: For this model I used Maya and imported it into Rhino. In Rhino I used the contour tool to create the slices of the model to layout on the plane for laser cutting. I used a Cplane command to project the planes onto an even surface (0,0) after laying them out, so none of the curves were floating in space. I used a text tool to number each piece so I could know what was what when assembly time arrived.





Material: I knew that the materials for this piece was going to be composed of cardboard- so in keyshot I just slapped on a wood texture/material over the model to represent this. I think it captures the idea of a cardboard telephone booth- I used base color paints too to help envision what it would look like as different solid colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment