Monday, March 28, 2016

Julio Romero: Serial Slice


Thresher sharks are one of my favorite animals because of how ridiculously long its tail fin is, so I decided to make one. It was difficult to find good multiple views of a thresher, so I used a side view of a thresher shark and just use other types of sharks for the other views. I also wanted to squish it down to be short and fat to make it look abnormal compared to real sharks, which are long and thin.

For the beginning model I used profile curves and the network surface tool. After that I used the contour command to create the curves I wanted to cut out. I laid them all flat and scaled them up to take up as much space of a 2x4ft piece of cardboard as possible, which caused the pieces to only be scaled in length and width, without affecting the depth.

To add a different form of contrast to my KeyShot renders, I chose to use 2 glass materials. Sharks are usually seen as being tough and powerful, so using glass would make it delicate and fragile. I made the top blue and bottom clear because it helps sharks to camouflage (they blend in with the dark blue water if seen from above and with the bright sky if seen from below.

No comments:

Post a Comment