Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Jung Choi 3D Print Solus

I got the inspiration for this 3D print from the Keyblade from the Kingdom Hearts game series. I originally had intended to make something similar that acts as a "sword", but I decided that since the print was going to be small, I decided to go with an actual key. After I decided on going with the key, I wanted it to look like something from a fictional story with special purposes.

I used a lot of extrusions and offsetting of curves to create solid objects for the main body and the decorations. The hardest part was creating the indented curvy decoration on the body of the key. I made the curve, then mirrored it across then projected it onto the body. Then, I used the projected curves to trim out parts that I wanted indented then extruded the curves down then patched the bottom to get the solid indention that I wanted. I used a lot of the joinedge tool as a lot of these pieces would not join with the simple join command. I used filletedge command to fillet the edges so that they would have smooth edges.
 The materials were obviously metal. I wanted it to look like something from a fictional story, something like a magical key to open magical objects or doors so I made it fairly colorful. I gave it a golden body and made a lot of the decorations red and named it Solus as the flare decorations around the head of the key resembled the sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment