Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Victoria Mayfield: Serial Slice

Concept: For this project I really struggled when it came to deciding on a model that I was pleased with. I went through a few different prototypes before I decided on the design that I serial sliced. I knew I wanted to stick with a modern design, and dabble in suspension with the posts. I was inspired by modern cake designs, as well as decorative cupcake stands. I decided to stick with the modern theme and create something that could be showcased as a modern piece of art. 


Modeling: One of the main modeling techniques I used to achieve this piece was the polar array tool. This was the tool that I used to create a box, then create a tight array which gave me the star effect that I liked. I was then able to group those boxes, duplicate that whole tier, and scale is a bit smaller. This was how I achieved the four separate tiers. I then used the torus tool to create a band around each tier, which I used boolean difference to cut that section out. This left each tier with a nice hourglass shape. I created the 6 posts out of basic cylinders and decided to incorporate them into my design and have each tier be suspended. 







Materials: The material I chose for each tier in my keyshot is a frosted glass. I chose this material to stick with my modern theme. The glass is what I imagined the sculpture to be made of since it would be a purely decorative piece. I decided to make the internal posts a bold, bright red metal. I felt like this added some interest to the sculpture and made it more interesting and pleasing to the eye. For my actual serial slice I used MDF wood, then just basic wooden dowels for the support posts. I love how the laser burns the edges of the wood when it has been completely cut through, and this was the effect I wanted to achieve. Then I was able to just glue each serial sliced tier together, and use hot glue to suspend each tier along the posts. In the future I would like to experiment more with paints, as well as different materials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment