Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Alyssa Phillips: Serial Slice



Concept: The inspiration for my serial slice came from looking at topographic maps. I wanted something with an organic feel to it, but I also wanted to give a postmodern architectural element to the piece. This led to the decision to extend my object upwards and then give it more character by twisting it.


Technique: My technique simply involved creating a freeform curve using control points, making it into a surface, and then extruding it upwards, and twisting it with a slight taper at the top for a slightly wider base. The actual model that came out, after I laser cut it, was a little shorter than I expected it to be, so the dimensions are not the same as seen in the digital model. I do love the curves that came out of the extrusion process and how they give the model depth and character. 


Material: I used 2-ply cardboard for my material and since my model was twisted and angled, I used two metal round cores to keep the slices together. I used Loctite glue to keep the pieces together as I slid them numerically through the two cores. It was a little tough making sure they were angled together the right way before the glue completely dried in case i needed to make minor adjustments to each layer. Once I got it all together, I spray painted the whole thing to give it more emphasis versus the plain cardboard color. 


No comments:

Post a Comment