Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Tara Intyrath : Laser Cut

Concept: As I was looking through my journal of inspirations I came up with the idea to create a mash-up of my favorite works that inspire me as I want to frame or have the laser engrave mounted onto my wall so I could look at, be inspired, or just for admiring. I am greatly inspired by oriental/Asian art so I chose two images that inspire me the most to use. One of them images is from an unknown artist. I have this picture on the front page of my inspiration journal and no matter how much I search and cannot seem to find the artist but it has inspired me for as long as I can remember. The second I chose to add in the wave from Katsushika Hokusai's work, The Great Wave Off Kanagawa.
Technique: The techniques I used were fairly simple. I scanned in the image of girl from my journal and put it into photoshop. I darkened the image as much as I could and then imported the darkened image into illustrator. I found that when I tried to use image trace the lines were much to light to see and I only got the hair so I had to make my own strokes to shape the rest of the body. The wave was much simpler to image trace and I made some of my own edits to it erasing parts of the wave to make it look a little fragmented. I chose to have the wave a deeper raster than the girl to separate the two images. 

Materials: For my engraving material, I chose a birch plywood because I quite liked the light color of it. I am very satisfied with the finished product and plan to add a light stain to the piece and mount it on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment