Sunday, April 2, 2017

Jason Doze: Week 11 Laser Engraving





Vesalius Inverted Drawing

Vesalius



Rhino Setup

Second Panel With Triangles






 


 


Concept:  I used a photograph of a Vesalius drawing I did last summer in figure drawing and then inverted and used a halftone filter.  Then I manipulated a metatron cube and ran both of these in illustrator.  There I image traced the cube and outlined the drawing with a path function.  I set up the Vesalius figure within a six pointed star with the metatron cube in the center.  Next I found a triangle geometric illusion svg, manipulated it and put it on another piece of wood to set atop the previous piece.  

Materials:  I used birchwood and cedar laminated birchwood for the two engravings.  I'm spinning the top layer of wood with a ball bearing fixture and I've used a satin varnish to finish the bottom layer and I have dyed the top layer with orange and pink wood stain. 

Technique: I applied Ultra Dye wood stain with a synthetic paint brush to give the top panel some contrast over the bottom panel.  After applying the stain I sanded the drawn engravings to pull the wood back through.  I used a dremel tool with sanding blade to give the stain a weathered appearance and then clear gloss over the top to give it a protective coating.

No comments:

Post a Comment