Monday, October 12, 2015

Brittany Jones: 3D Printed Tree House

For my 3D printed object, I wanted to bring one of my virtual beloved 3D models to physical form. For my senior capstone project, I modeled and textured an outer-space themed tree house. The model is now the story-driven centerpiece for my MFA thesis project (visit http://treehouseln.wordpress.com for more information).

I first modeled the tree house in Autodesk Maya. The tree trunk was created using cylinders. I used the extrusion tool, append to polygon tool, and moved/merged vertices a lot throughout the process to create branches. The wall boards were modeled by creating a square shaped panel and using the boolean difference function to make the circular window. The leaves were created by modeling a sphere and manipulating the vertices. Lastly, I imported the model into Rhino and scaled it down to 2.5 inches tall to prepare it for printing.

For the material, I chose a saturated, non-transparent forest green plastic. In a future iteration of this model, I plan to paint the 3D print and add a couple more modeled elements (tree swing using wire and pssibly a 3D printed telescope that I already have designed).





No comments:

Post a Comment