Monday, October 12, 2015

Vincent Lo: Week 8 "Escaping Time"









At some point or another, we all find ourselves looking back and thinking "Where did all the time go?," and I wanted to visualize that thought in my piece. Also, I've always been fascinated by the concept of time, so I settled on the hourglass as the main subject. The leaking sand in my sculpture represents the time that "escapes" us whenever we lose track of time.

I modeled the hourglass in Rhino using lots of circular curves. I then used loft to create the surfaces. The Chamfer command was used to create highlights on most of the hourglass pieces. I created the sand within Maya simply by smoothing a cube several times, and then using soft select to shift vertices around.

I chose darker materials for the hourglass because I wanted the sand to pop out as that is a focal point for my piece. At the same time, I used a monochromatic color scheme to unify all the components together. To achieve the sand look, I used one of the marble materials with roughness raised to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment