Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Jetsons Castle

 
The inspiration for my castle was the "Jetsons" TV cartoon from the 1970's. I'm old enough that I watched the original episodes as a teenager. The "Space Age" had begun in 1957 with the launch of Sputnik and the TV show was not far behind. There was nothing realistic about the Jetson's world, but the idea of living in those bubbles in the sky and commuting in jets appealed to me.
 
I had no previous 3D modeling tool experience, so I decided to see what I could do with just the basic solid shapes in Rhino. I used cylinders, spheres and cones with a couple of toroid's and truncated cones added in.
 

I wanted to display this as a cluster of buildings in the sky in a natural environment, so I created some domes for ground dwellers instead of a base. I also added a few "jets" to the scene before I rendered it. One is hovering near the tallest building and two others are on an aerial parking lot. I used plastic material for the disks, glass for the domes and metal for the support pillars.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment