Sunday, October 11, 2015

Savage - Midtern 3D Print Model

There's not a particularly large story to tell here. Prof. Scott changed this assignment from a flashlight to anything one wished to print - and I knew instantly that I had to model a snake. I like snakes, and I wanted to play into a running joke among many of my friends that I "am" a snake because of my height. And because the original assignment was a flashlight model, I included the lantern that the snake is holding.
The head and tongue were modeled using control point distortion from a sphere, and the snake body consists of a pipe around a control point curve with radii set up so to fit the lantern at an appropriate place. The lantern itself was made primarily with a torus, extrusions of curves, and the offset commands. You can see in the image above that I had removed part of the head in order to fit the tongue; this was in order to save some support material when printed but ultimately I boolean-added the two meshes together once they were created, so they would print as one piece.
 
 For the render, I knew I wanted to change things up from realistic materials. The lantern subverts expectations by being dark and soft, unlike the expected brightness and hardness of metal. If this were a larger piece, I would install a blacklight or infrared lightbulb in the lamp. The snake, by contrast, is metallic, rough, and brightly colored.



No comments:

Post a Comment