Monday, October 26, 2015

Sean Korzeniewski - Laser Engraving

.

.

Illustrator File
Top down view of Game Board

Pedestrian view

Concept:

My concept for this engraving was to create a functional wooden game board based off of an original game I created last year. The movement mechanics for the game are strictly orthogonal meaning the most apt shape for the board is a square consisting of smaller square spaces. Although simple, this design is meant to function throughout the many configurations of my game's starting state. 

Techniques:

I used adobe illustrator in order to quickly create a grid of black lines. I then used the laser cutting template colors in order to cut the board into four compact pieces. I also utilized the raster tool in order to differentiate between important spaces on the board and normal spaces. With the raster tool I also made some of the grid lines wider than others in order to increase contrast between certain areas on the board.

Material:

My cutting material was a type of interior plywood that's usually used for cabinets and indoor furniture. I chose to use this material because it was affordable and it would allow me to stain and ink the game board in order to increase its aesthetic appeal. For my color I used a homemade stain made of tobacco and ground coffee. I'm probably going to go over it a few more times in order to get a nice dark golden brown color.


No comments:

Post a Comment