Sunday, October 11, 2015

Joseph Rowe Week 8 Serial Slicing

WARPED

My serial slicing study is a rocket that has achieved warp speed and been twisted and bent by the forces in a worm hole. I grew up building flying model rockets constructed of paper and balsa wood. My dad and I were the 1972 Texas State Senior Division champions. Those models approached the speed of sound and were held together with Elmer's Glue. If it was good enough then, it's good enough now, so my "Warped" model is made of cardboard and held together with Elmer's.
 
Creating the 3D model was easy. Moving each slice to the laser cutter pattern was tedious since I used single ply cardboard and ended up with 66 layers. My daughter, Natasha Jordan, did the assembly.
 
The choice of cardboard as a material proved interesting because you can actually see right through it in one direction. Perhaps it is a "cloaking device."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Here is a view of the original model rendered with KeyShot.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment