Sunday, January 31, 2016

Ashley D Goodenough: Castle


Concept: My concept for the castle model was based on two broad ideas. I liked the idea of combining the visual basics of some middle-eastern architecture with some architecture from the natural world, such as a spiraled shell. I enjoyed the contrast of something that felt like it belonged in an arid, desert environment with something that belonged in the ocean.



Modeling: Techniques used for modeling the castle in Rhino included combining and separating shape primitives, rotation, scaling, duplication, polar arrays, and curve extrusion. I used this as an opportunity to get used to all the different snap options I had in Rhino. I tried to duplicate a lot of my basic shapes in the design to create cohesion. I also wanted to keep the design of the spires simple, given that the spiral layout was not as simple. I didn’t want to overwhelm the design.                                 

 
Materials: The materials I chose for the castle were meant to resemble the earthiness of the desert, with the general shine and reflection of a shell from the ocean. I stuck with a metallic paint for most of the castle. I kept the color palette of the castle warm, and the materials on the castle itself much lighter and shinier than the ground. This gave it a certain sense of being like a colorful shell sitting on the dark, stony ocean floor, which is an old tiles material. The doorknob and small details on the main spire are procedural mahogany. I gave the windows on the spires, as well as the front door, a deep yellow lightly-frosted glass material to resemble sea glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment