Sunday, January 31, 2016

Ashley D Goodenough: Duck

Concept: I expanded the rubber ducky model into a few different types of birds, and then decided I like the overall shape and balance of the puffin one I had come up with. I based my modeling and design of the puffin entirely on pictures of real puffins, but kept the little guy cartoony and simple. I think puffins have such an artistic, yet silly, look to them, with their color variety and their rounded bodies. After I had the puffin, I decided to turn it into a light-hearted lamp as my end product. It could be a child’s lamp for their bedroom, but that wasn’t the idea at the core of designing it.
Modeling: This involved a lot of organic deformation using control points and curves. I learned how to project curves onto surfaces, then use them to cut surfaces and bridge two objects. I also projected curves onto the puffin’s beak in order to create the varied color stripes puffins have on their beaks and bodies. Also used were Split, Join, Set, some cutting planes, and blend surfaces. I enjoyed testing the limits of using control points to deform an object. Also used were the basic Boolean union and difference commands, polar arrays, and snaps to build the rest of the lamp.
Materials: The materials used for the puffin lamp were supposed to feel child-like, but still good quality. It has a light wooden red oak base, a color that complements the rest of the design. The puffin is entirely hard plastic material, with high shine. The rest of the lamp is a painted material in varying colors, also with high shine. The light bulb is simply a frosted white glass. I would’ve used an emissive material for it, but didn’t realize I had that option until after I had finished all my renders. I did end up using an emissive material for my flashlight, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment