Sunday, January 31, 2016

Victoria Mayfield: Castle



Concept: The design for my castle began with the idea of a classic medieval castle. While I was researching different types of castles, I stumbled upon the idea of cakes shaped like castles. I liked the idea of having a castle that was clean and simple. This was my first experience ever using Rhino so I wanted to make sure my design was something I could successfully accomplish. I believe I was able to achieve this by using clean shapes and iconic details. 



Modeling: As I mentioned before, this was my first experience using Rhino so I definitely had my fair share of mishaps trying to use the vast amount of tools the software has to offer. A few of the tools that I found most useful in implementing my design included the cylinder tool, torus tool, box tool and cone tool. Once I was able to master curves I used that tool in order to create a pipe for my archways. These were the only geometric tools that I used with my castle. I found the polar array tool to be immensely effective in creating the window and railing details. Also the snap tools were helpful when it came to lining pieces of geometry up properly. 




Materials: When I first started looking at textures, I thought I wanted something that would appear rocky to go along with my medieval castle theme. However, I didn't like how the castle looked when I tried various rough textures that may emulate a rocky exterior. As far as the castle cake idea, none of the textures invoked the idea of soft cake icing either. I chose to go with glass because of how delicate it made the castle appear. The materials I chose more so reflected my theme in their colors.  I wanted to stay with darker colors to nod somewhat to an old world theme. The pop of red on the turrets was comparable to pops of color that one may find on a cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment