Sunday, January 31, 2016

Julio Romero: Mouse




When I was beginning to make my mouse I was going to make it look like a little green alien head, but as the shape changed I transitioned to making it look like a rodent mouse instead. I was also planning on creating a small hole in the bottom for a wireless USB, but instead decided to add a cord to match the mouse theme. Though most computer mice have the cable at the front so that it can run behind the computer into the back of the PC, having it in the back of the mouse makes it easier to connect to the front of PCs if  you have to use different computers constantly, such as in public labs or libraries.

The main body used multiple curves to define the shape, which was created using the create surface from curve networks command. the ball is a simple sphere, and to create the hole for it to fit in I used Boolean intersection on the main body. For the buttons I created an ellipse, which I then projected onto the surface of the top, and then extruded in both directions, finishing by Boolean intersecting a hole to fit it in. I used similar steps to make the eyes and whiskers, finishing by cutting the mouse in half and then mirroring it to easily add the changes to the other side. The cable used a curve that I piped, and the USB was a curve I extruded outwards. I finished off by filleting to smooth out all of the edges.

The materials I chose were mostly grays to mimic both computer and living mice. I used reflective materials for the ball and USB to resemble a hard plastic ball and a real USB cable, respectively. The main body and buttons used softer, smooth plastics so as to not be uncomfortable for users.

No comments:

Post a Comment