Sunday, January 31, 2016

Julio Romero: Hammer




I wanted to make my hammer look like similar to other hammers while also remaining unique. I designed it after the carpenter's hammer, and also added a hexagonal hole for bolt removal. Though I wanted it to look realistic, I also wanted to make it cartoonish in respect to its proportions.

I created the handle using multiple ellipses and then lofting them into a solid object, and projected a curve onto the center to remove a portion of it. The middle part was a box that a tapered to make shorter on the head side compared to the handle side. The head was created by combining two different parts: the peen and the claw. The peen was a simple curve that I revolved, and the claw was a curve that I extruded. To created the two separate "hooks," I took a box, curved one side, and then did a Boolean operation to remove the middle part; I used a similar process to create the hexagonal hole. I then used the chamfer and fillet commands to remove most of the hard edges.

I separated my hammer into three different objects: the head, the main body, and the handle. The head used a highly reflective metal material to simulate the stainless steel most hammers used for durability. The main body used a duller, hard plastic material to contrast with the head, and the handle had a soft plastic for comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment