Monday, May 2, 2016

Devan Mitchell: Pepakura "Look away"

Concept: I wanted to make a gesture that showed apathy and disconnect. A bust is a representation of one of the most emotive parts of the human body the head, face, neck, and shoulders. Without having the ability to make a detailed face with the amount of polys I was limited to I decided to show all of the other emotive qualities this fraction of the human body has to offer. I also wanted to abstract the proportions of a standard human form by elongating the neck and head. I think in future projects I will exaggerate this more.

Modeling: I modeled this in maya. I used references for the head shape but not for the proportion of the head to the shoulders. Looking back on that I might have looked at a reference prior to distorting the form so that it was still in the context of proportionate until I distorted it.
Material: The material Black Glass in Keyshot would be ideal for the finished product but I will have to experiment on how to make this out of a more dense material such as two way glass. I like the finished form. I have a better understand as to how a 3D form on the computer will translate in real life. When I reproduce this again I'm going to make slight adjustments to the form. I also think that the model would be better if it was made out of card stock. The complex form gets slightly distorted when try to fit the thick flaps together in the form. There is also a slight distortion where ever there is torque in the form around areas such as the neck. I enjoy the look of this piece in all quads so I don't think making the neck into triangles will be how I solves this problem and perhaps it will be easier when I use card stock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment