Sunday, May 1, 2016

Eric Lam: Serial Slices

Concept: For this assignment I wanted to create an organic looking object. I turned to my backyard for inspiration and I found that our pear tree was budding. I used this bud as the basis of this assignment.
 
Technique: I first created the base of the object using lines. I then modified the base and moved this curve up to the height I wanted the piece to be. Then using the sweep 2 command as well as another vertical curve, I created the shape that kind of resembled the fruit bud. Using contour in rhino I proceeded to "slice" the model and used those curves for laser cutting.
Materials: For the laser cut material I decided to stick with the .25 in thick cardboard. The materials for the rendering however, it's an orange transparent glass. I chose this material because glass looked interesting and different shades of orange can be seen at different angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment