Sunday, May 1, 2016

Devon Youngbird: Laser Engraving

Concept
This concept was inspired by a video game item- Corvo's mask from the video game Dishonored. Last semester I created a 3D model and rendering of it, so I thought it would be a fun model to return back to and potentially engrave. Using a wire frame perspective gave it more of a blueprint feel, but all in all came out great. 


Technique
I originally created this 3d model inside Maya and exported it out as an .obj file to be used inside of rhino. I used the draw 2d command (being sure to hide hidden lines) and had it project so I could scale it to the dimensions needed for the engraving. I experimented with drawing some additional curves at first, but ultimately decided to remove them in the final piece. 


Materials
For the engraving I used MDF wood board 2'x4' 1/4" thick. I thought it would ultimately serve as a great piece to put in my living room to hang rather than using a cardboard material. I hope to apply some sort of finish to it, so it can really pop instead of the matte finish the board naturally has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment