Sunday, May 1, 2016

Devon Youngbird: Pepakura

Concept
This venture was my attempt to create a dinosaur to display in my living room. The model itself was going to be based off of an idea of lowpoly triceratops. I would then take this low poly model and use pepakura to create the little dinosaur. Fun fact:I looked at an uncountable amount of triceratops pictures for this project. This ultimately was the first step in creating this little dinosaur.

Technique
I used Maya in order to create the low poly version of this dinosaur, as my skills are more dependable in Maya over Rhino. I used simple extrusions and modeling skills to rough out the shape, taking care to create edge loops to help later in the process. I then exported the model as an .obj to pepakura, and began unfolding it. I followed the tutorial videos to help set things up and create numbers later to be added in an illustrator file, ultimately to be imported into Rhino for engraving. After having the pieces cut out, it was a simple trial of gluing the edges together to create my little dinosuar. 

Material
This material used was white e-flute cardboard. This was used to allow the edges to be perforated and bent to piece together. I plan on finishing the little dinosaur by taping its edges up and adding some sort of color to help it stand out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment