Sunday, May 1, 2016

Thomas Perugini: Laser Engraving

The laser engraving is within the same theme as my 3D print model. It depicts a glass flask made of fragments. I wanted it to have a simplistic message and layout. "Survive" is what we do every day, and this can extend beyond physical to mental and moral survival. It is meant to be surrounded by embers.


To make the design, I projected a view of my bottle model, and added in more curves to create a fragmented appearance. I then added in type made out of curves, as well as small pentagons for the embers.


 I did not have many materials available to me, and I wanted to experiment. I then noticed the boxes of LEGOs on my shelf. They are made of ABS plastic, which is supposed to be a good material for the laser cutter, so I did a medium cut for the entire design. It is meant to be in front of a light source to illuminate it, but it did not turn out as visible as I would have liked. A deep cut may have been a better route. I can find a way to darken the plates outside the engravings as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment