Monday, May 2, 2016

Devan Mitchell: Study Slots "A Runner"

Concept: I wanted to created something that display emotion as well and animation. these deer silhouettes that I drew were meant to emulation a deer in many different snap shots of a running cycle. I wanted to vary the size and shape to give you the sense that these are separate deer ruining all at once. The name is something I see in my self and in a lot of people. Physiology will tell you that the strongest driving force is fear and for me when I see my self running away from my problems I see a quality that is not just human but natural. 
Modeling: The first thing I did with the drawings was clean up the line work so that all the black was solid, and so that the backs were flat. I then imported those drawings into illustrator and did a line trace and expanded the lines so that they could be imported into Rhino. Once in rhino I made a cross section so that the different faces would display across a half circle. I wanted this to be more of a deliberate action because I thought the animation quality would be best displayed rotated evenly throughout a half circle. I made a couple of extra pieces to experiment with placing and size of the cross sections. This piece would have been better suited for the slots to be exactly the size of the cardboard or a hundredth larger because unlike a completely modular built piece this piece tended to fit more snug as more pieces were fit into the cross sections.
 
Materials: I used a 2 ply card board thickness .24 inches. This piece would have been better suited for the slots to be exactly the size of the cardboard or a hundredth larger because unlike a completely modular built piece this piece tended to fit more snug as more pieces were fit into the cross sections. Although with a bit of working in the cardboard slots this piece fits very tightly together without the need for glue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment