Sunday, May 1, 2016

Thomas Perugini: Pepakura

Pepakura first piqued my interest a few years ago, for its common use of prop making. Props have always been a fun thing for me to make at home, so I decided to try it with Pepakura. I decided to make a futuristic welding and cutting tool. Much of my inspiration came from the plasma cutter tool from Dead Space, as well as general industrial aesthetic.



Most of the model was constructed from extruded straight curves. The pieces that go around the main body of the model were given a Boolean difference to hollow out the shape and holes. Then Pepakura was used to bring the unfolded shapes to the cutting board.





The shapes were cut from .25' cardboard, with rare earth magnets inserted in certain location between pieces so that they stick together and can move. I then got the idea to use cut pieces of empty water bottles for more accessories. All of the pieces were then painted with 2 to 3 layers of black Plasti-Dip, which is a latex paint coating. After that dried and set I took a grey acrylic paint and did heavy strokes on edges, and light strokes on surfaces for a worn texture and appearance.



No comments:

Post a Comment