Monday, April 6, 2015

Chloe Ferris: Week 10 Waffle Structure

I decided to continue my exploration of water and waves with this project. I chose a water ripple, caused by a drop on a still body of water, as my subject. After looking at different references of water ripples, I decided to create a 3-wave ripple, with a tall center that had been released from the drop itself. I thought that this would be an interesting subject to use for the waffle structure. The ripples have a completely rounded and smooth design, which would contrast with the straight and rigid structure of a waffle.
Ghosted view of massed and grillage forms

Although my ripple design features radial symmetry, I did not want to use radial slicing for my ribs. I tried out both radial and planar slices, and thought that the planar provided an interesting visual contrast to the design, so I decided to use that method. I created the mass by making a silhouette curve of a ripple, and then revolving that 360 degrees from the origin. I then used contours in the X direction and sections in the Y direction to come up with my planes. These were them processed with the CutMyOwnRibsV3 script, and then unfolded with the BetterMassiveUnroll script. Then, I cleaned up the edge slots by extending the inner slot curves. I arranged the Y ribs on one 48x24 rectangle, and the X ribs on another 48x24 rectangle, as I decided that I was going to use two sheets to complete this project, as I did not want to compromise the size. I plan on adding in a few other things that I want cut for personal projects onto these sheets, so as not to waste material.

Sheet Layout 1

Sheet Layout 2

In Keyshot, I applied two shades of a blue shiny plastic finish to all of the ribs. I wanted to recreate the look of acrylic, which I may want to use as a material for this project in the future, if I decide to cut it again. I went with a subdued white lighting, to accent the plastic without drawing attention away from the structure, and to catch the shine.

Final Render 1
Final Render 2

No comments:

Post a Comment