Monday, April 6, 2015

Chloe Ferris: Week 9 Serial Slice

This project is based around the concept of a sound wave. When thinking of different forms that would work well using the serial slicing method, I came to sound waves, as they could be represented in an interesting way when sliced, while still holding very true to their original form. I researched different sound waves, and came to a royalty-free website that had many different sound clips. I chose a clip of an ocean wave crashing into a rock, as this continues my previous exploration of ocean waves in the modular slots design project. I referenced the climax point of the sound clip, when the wave first breaches the rock, which is also the most aesthetically pleasing point in the wave.

Ghosted view of the original and sliced model

In Rhino, I used the freehand curve tool to trace over the sound wave reference using a tablet. Then, I went back and edited the individual control points of the curve to make it smooth and accurate. I always went back and added edges to the sides and bottom, then joined all of the curves together. I then turned this curve into a planar curve, and revolved it 180 degrees. I only wanted to revolve 180 degrees so that the back of the wave would be flat, in order to eventually mount it on a wall. I then added the intersection of the support rod, and used a combination of the contour and extrude tools to create the actual serial slices. These were then laid out on the 48x24 laser cutter bed reference, but because the model was small, I was able to fit the slices together so that I would only need a partial sheet of material, which was more cost effective.

Sheet Layout

For the material, I chose a polished Mahogany wood in Keyshot for the model. This wood had both a nice color as well as a very nice grain pattern, which I saw fitting to the sliced model. This wood material was to represent a better, more finished wood model, which I could have cut again in the future. I added a diffused light to the right side of the model, hoping to catch the edges of each slice to accentuate the overall form.

Final Render 1
Final Render 2


The laser cut model came out extremely well. The lab tech I worked with was very concerned at how small my pieces were, but I am happy with my decision to keep the model small. It was challenging to assemble, but the range of sizes is very interesting to look at, and accurate to my original design. The slices were cut on 1/8th inch pressed hardboard, and assembled with Loctite glue and small wood supports, for structural integrity.

Final Assembly 1

Final Assembly 2

No comments:

Post a Comment