Thursday, April 2, 2015

Jenna Bastian: Week 10 Squirrel Waffles

For the Waffles project, I decided to do a squirrel. Squirrels are the mascots for all colleges, and they are like the freshmen college students.  Some squirrels switch trees (majors) since it was not quite for them or they had too much competition. They gather as much nuts (knowledge) as they can, but some forget where they put it. They are super fidgety, excited for adventure, and wary of the unknown.

I modeled a simple shape of a squirrel in Maya and imported it into Rhino 3D. I used Contours to create curves that cut through the object, I then took those curves to create the slices with PlanarSrf. After, I thickened the slices with ExtrudeSrf by .24 (2 ply cardboard thickness). I flipped some of the vertical slices so the rough side of the hardboard will show on either side of the squirrel.

In Keyshot I placed the squirrel waffle structure in front of the UTD campus, near the Visitor Center since it also has a waffle-like structure. I chose brown metal so it would not be too distracting and be natural in the environment. The second keyshot render is what it would look like as plywood or cardboard. For the actual model I used hardwood (with .125 inch thickness), with .14 inch slots. The finished squirrel model was wobbly due to the wide slots but, with the help from Professor Scott, we were able to make it stand with the use of tiny pieces of cardboard and super glue inside some of the extra slot space.

Squirrel in Rhino 3D


Squirrel Slices in Rhino 3D

Squirrel in Keyshot #1

Squirrel in Keyshot #2

Squirrel Model finished #1

Squirrel Model finished#2


No comments:

Post a Comment