Monday, April 13, 2015

Chloe Ferris: Week 11 Lamp

My lamp was influenced by aesthetic of vases. As plants give off a source of light, a lamp almost mimics the same idea, giving off warmth and light for a home. The structure of the lamp itself was designed based off of a traditional style of vase, in order to encase the "plant," which in this case, is the light bulb. The design features one main curving bulge, which tapers into a neck in order to hold the bulb, before fanning out at the top. I made the lamp small, in order to comfortably fit on my desk.





In Rhino, I created a profile curve shape of the lamp, and used Curve Boolean to have one solid curve. I then took this curve and rotated it 360 degrees, to create a solid, round shape. Then, I used the Section command to draw my waffle sections onto the lamp. Afterwards, I used the CutMyRibs script to create the waffle ribs, and then used the BetterMassiveUnroll script to unroll the ribs onto a reference sheet for the laser cut bed. I also used the Make2D command to create 4 orthographic views of the model. The lamp is meant to be print on a shorter piece of material that I have, so it is pushed all to one side on the reference sheet, and there is a lot of "empty" room that will not actually be wasted, as the sheet I am using is not 24 x 48.

Massed and waffle forms

I chose to use a hard plastic material for this design. I used alternating bright purple and lime green colors for the different X and Y ribs. These two colors are complimentary, and go together nicely. The alternating of the colors also adds visual interest. I then took this render and added the orthographic views and the cut sheet to show how the lamp would be made in a real life manufacturing situation.
Final Render with Orthographics

Final Render with Cut Sheet

The final lamp came out okay. I ran out of hardboard, so I ended up having to cut it on cardboard, which was hard to assemble. I used a 7-watt nightlight candelabra bulb inside the lamp, to create a nice warm glow affect.

Assembled Lamp

No comments:

Post a Comment