Monday, April 20, 2015

Jake Lenzen - Serial Slices

For this project, I wanted to create an object from a video game. One shape that seemed particularly interesting was the Fierce Deity Sword from the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. The curving blade seemed like it would be easy to make with 2 strips of cardboard, while still retaining the shape that makes it iconic.

Modeling this project was fairly simple. The hilt has a straight forward cylindrical shape, though I got the scale slightly wrong. The blade I made by tracing a curve over an image of the sword. I created planes from those curves and extruded them to 0.25 thickness, then positioned them along the hilt. I used the boolean difference command to create slots for the blade to rest in, to make the attachment more secure. I then unrolled the project and fit it onto a cardboard sheet. The model turned out well, though I think I should have provided even more room for the blade to slide in, as it still wiggles a bit.






No comments:

Post a Comment