Sunday, April 26, 2015

Renae Patoskie Week 8: Serial Slices

For the Serial Slices project I was inspired by the texture possibilities.



This technique has been used to create ambiguous, resemble contour mapping, or simply visual textures. I wanted to apply this visual texture into a common place object.






My goal was to create a similar texture to the one featured in the figure on the left, while creating a visually pleasing bowl inspired by the figure on the right.


To create this model, I created a series of 6 curves using the sketch tool. I then aligned the three surface points so that the bowl would be sufficiently balanced. I then lofted between the curves to create the outside surface. I then duplicated the surface, offset it above the outside surface and then sheared off the excess to create a flat edge on the top using the trim tool. I then used sweep two rails to create a surface between the inner and outer surfaces.


Due to the non-uniform thin outlines, it took 3 sheets of 24"x 48" mdf to print this project.


Constructed bowl from the end.


Constructed Bowl from above



No comments:

Post a Comment